Review: The Fountainhead

The Fountainhead The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

I've soured a LOT more over the past decade on Rand's views, but the book is still well-written. These were my initial thoughts back in 2005:

"When I first saw this book I wasn’t very attracted to it. Then by chance I came across some information on Ayn Rand’s views on economics. This lead me to interest in her, which in turn lead me to understand that The Fountainhead was her second book and was really more of a prolonged philosophic discussion than a story about an architect. This was too much to pass up so I picked up the book.
The back cover claimed that the book was full of radical ideas, and that it was. I must admit that I do not agree with Ayn Rand on most of her major points. This does not prevent the book from being and excellent read and excessively thought provoking. I suppose that it should not be surprising that Ayn Rand was about the most arrogant woman on the planet, but if you read The Fountainhead you will certainly understand why, agree or not.
I also came across this Testimony Before The House UnAmerican Affairs Committee (http://www.capmag.com/article.asp?ID=12) which I found very interesting. It shows how extremely intelligent this woman was. In addition it is refreshing to read the views of a Russian ex-patriot (or perhaps patriot-in-exile would be more accurate) on truth in politics.
I give this book a solid 5 stars, but warn the reader to put on a thick skin and not accept everything they read without careful consideration."



View all my reviews

Comments

Popular Posts